Updated on September 19, 2017
Should I Hire a Cleaning Service for my Airbnb?
Should I pay for a cleaning service? This is one of the top questions I get about running an Airbnb business. I wish I could tell you a clear cut “yes” or “no”, but it is very dependent on circumstances. Nevertheless, I can help you make the choice that’s best for your business!
There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether or not to hire a cleaning service. First, I’ll go through the major factors you need to consider for your Airbnb listing.
- Your Cleaning Cost/Time – How much does it cost you in time and money to clean the room? Read my post on pricing your cleaning fee to determine how much your do-it-yourself cost is.
- Your Cleaning Time – Aside from the incorporated cost/time equation to determine a dollar cost for your cleaning fee, the shear amount of time it takes you to prepare your listing for new Airbnb guests could be a factor in this decision to hire a cleaning service.
- Cleaning Service Cost – How much will it cost you to hire someone to perform the work?
- Cleaning Service Time – How long does it take the cleaning service to do the work?
- Your Personal Schedule – We are all busy! Take a look at your personal schedule and see what hours of the day you have available.
- You Personal Mindset – Are you a perfectionist? Are you easy-going? Believe it or not, but your own natural attitude and habits could be the deciding factor on whether or not to hire a cleaning service!
When looking at all these factors, you can see that some are very objective like cost, time and schedule. There is also a very real subjective factor of personal mindset which you will have to evaluate yourself. Ok, so let’s get into it and determine in what scenarios you should or should not hire a cleaning service for your Airbnb business!
When to Hire a Cleaning Service for your Airbnb
- If your cleaning cost/time total (#1 from above) is GREATER than the cost of a cleaning service (#3 from above)
- If your cleaning time (#2) is too long to get the job done before guests arrive. Often, the cleaning service time (#4) is shorter than the time it would take you to do the same amount of work.
- If your personal schedule conflicts the the common times the accommodations need to be cleaned (ie between checkout time and check in time)
- If you have a personal mindset that is fine with having others do the work. You may find that not everything is done exactly as you would have done it and you need to be able to manage that without pulling your hair out.
When NOT to Hire a Cleaning Service for your Airbnb
- If your cleaning time/cost total (#1) is LESS than the cost of a cleaning service (#3) AND your personal schedule allow you to be available when needed.
- If your personal mindset is that of a perfectionist and things need to be done exactly the way you like them. This is not a bad thing at all, but if you fall into this category, you may find it less stressful to do the cleaning yourself.
As you can see, the decision on whether or not to hire a cleaning service for your Airbnb business is not black and white, but is a fairly simple decision to make. Remember, you are not bound one way or the other! You can certainly try it both ways and see which works better for you!
More of the best Airbnb hosting tips to come!